MEARS Auction Wants Your Green Bay Packers Memorabilia – Highest Prices Paid (Contact Troy R. Kinunen at email@example.com)
Prior to Lambeau Field, the Packers played at City Stadium from 1925-56. The original City Stadium was a hit with Green Bay Fans from the first game in 1925, which drew 5,389 fans, a record crowd. It was a typical small-town park of its day, with wooden fences and stands on both sides between the 30-yard lines. Seating capacity was gradually increased until it seated 15,000 by 1934, with the end zones still uncovered. With the filling in of the area around the end lines, the ultimate capacity of just over 25,000 was reached.
In 1946 After World War II, City Stadium gradually faded from its once proud position as one of the favored fields in the National Football League, to an inadequate and obsolete installation. As pro crowds increased, it was impossible to expand the stadium any further. With limited capacity, the Packers found it increasingly difficult to schedule top opponents at home. On Nov. 18, 1956, the Packers lost their final game at the stadium, to the 49ers.
With a need to match the growing demand of fans wanted to watch the Green Bay Packers, the “New City Stadium” was opened on Green Bay’s west side. The Stadium’s original address was 1265 Highland Avenue, whic was renamed Lombardi Avenue in 1968. The stadium has an elevation of 640 feet above sea level.
On September 29th, 1957, the Green Bay Packers played their first game the New City Stadium. (image shown of the team arriving on field not included) Vice President Richard Nixon was on hand as an honored guest.
For the inaugural game in their new stadium, the Packers beat the Chicago Bears, 21-17.
The cost of the new stadium was $1,500,000 and the 32,500 seat bowl was a sell out to the capacity crowd. During 1965, several months after Curly Lambeau died, the stadium was renamed, “Lambeau Field”.
The Stadium Banner measures a whopping 32” x 48”, and will become the focal point of any advanced Packer collection. Bold, yellow text proclaims, “Welcome to the New Green Bay Stadium”, indicating the inaugural game played on September 29th, 1957. The gold lettering is set against the Packers famous green background, making the display piece a visual masterpiece.
The fabric and paint have been examined by the expert staff of MEARS and determined to be original and period to 1957.
The original owner documented the history of the game by personally obtaining numerous signatures of the many legends that played at Lambeau Field. Honored signers include: Herb Adderly, Lionel Aldridge, Zeke Bratkowski, Tony Canadeo, Don Chandler, Willie Davis, Boyd Dowler, Jim Flanigan, Marv Fleming, Forrest Gregg, Billy Grimes, Paul Hornung, Bob Jeter, Gary Knafelc, Jerry Kramer, Ron Kramer, Bob Long, John Matinkovic, Max Mcgee, Lou Michaels, Jim Ringo, Dave Robinson, Bob Skoronski, Bart Starr and Fuzzy Thurston.
The condition remains in excellent to near mint condition, with only slight cracking present to some of the yellow lettering, which is expected on something that was actually hung during the event. Visually impressive and historically significant, this rare Stadium Banner which one hung proudly in the shadows of Lambeau Field can now be yours. LOA JSA (autographs) & Troy R. Kinunen (MEARS). (60N0156)